Today’s card is the second creation we made at the October Calgary Stampin’ Up! Stamp Club meeing. As I mentioned yesterday, it was all about ombre, so today’s card features hand dyed ombre ribbon. I did CASE (well, Copy And Share nearly everything) from a card I saw online that of course I can’t find now that I’m writing this. So to the original creator, thank you for the inspiration and I’m sorry I can’t give you proper credit here.
I did switch up the original design and add the ombre ribbon, which is a real showstopper. I learned this technique from my upline Kristine, who learned it at Stampin’ Up! Convention from the concept artists. I just love how SU! is all about sharing!
Tips to create the ombre ribbon:
- use the 7/8″ Cotton Ribbon from the Holiday Catalogue #127844
- fill an aqua painter with rubbing alcohol
- fill another aqua painter with rubbing alcohol and a generous number of drops of re-inker (I used more mustard)
- lay your ribbon on several layer of paper towel (don’t want to dye the tablecloth or your desk!)
- use the aqua painter that has re-inker in it to colour the top half of your ribbon
- blend the colour down towards the bottom half of your ribbon with the alcohol only aqua painter
- allow to air dry completely before assembling your card
I used some Crystal Effects to add some water droplets to a few of the leaves. You can really see one of them in this picture.
It takes a little bit of time and practice to make the ombre ribbon, but I really think it’s worth it!